Axis Mundi Yantra, 2009.
Performed by Ryan Brewer on the evening of December 17th, 2009 at the Parsons School of Design, NYC.
The sculpture plays with themes of (hyper)masculinity as an aggressive and precarious force/farce. By attempting to subdue sculpture through acts of seduction and destruction, the ritual asserted transformational resistance to socialized oppression. The outcome was one of emancipation through renewed senses of agency and empowerment.
Installation: Wood, stone, steel, aluminum, concrete, plexiglas, fluorescent lights, aircraft cable, unmixed concrete, sand, electrical components, miscellaneous hardware.
Wardrobe: Silk voile kimono, nylon body harness, concrete geta, leather boots, steel hair sticks, glass vial (essential oils), goalie mask, modified steel goalie cage.
Dimensions: 10′ (diameter) x 10′ (height)
Recently in Portfolio
- WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE, 2017-2022
- BREADBASKET ON WHEELS, 2020-2021
- GODHEAD (or Work, or I Love You Larry Johnson), 2020
- SOCIALIZED SCULPTURE, 2017-2018
- COSMOGENESIS, 2010-ONGOING
- RACHAEL’S DREAM, 2018
- RACHAEL’S BOUDOIR (The Tower: Penthouse Level), 2018
- HOW TO BUILD YOURSELF A MYTH, 2017
- PHANTASIA (PERFORMANCE STUDY #1), 2017
- FOUNTAIN (The Tower: Ground Level), 2016-2017
- VAULT (The Tower: Lower Level), 2016
- IVORY DUNGEON, 2014-2016
- POST-PARADISE (BLACK LODGE SWEAT), 2013
- WHO’S AFRAID OF RED, WHITE, AND BLACK?, 2012
- BLUE, 2012
- BLACK RED GOLD, 2011
- MEAT RACK VISION QUEST, 2011
- THE WHEEL OF LAW, 2010-2011
- AXIS MUNDI YANTRA, 2009
- CHAKRA YANTRA #6, 2009
- Early Works, 2008-2009