Blue, 2012. In collaboration with AA Bronson.
LED light box with diasec. 72 x 96 x 6 inches. Edition of three.
Ryan Brewer and AA Bronson began collaborating in the summer of 2011. They enacted rituals publicly, but without an invited audience, in the Meat Rack, a maze of sex paths, pine trees, and underbrush that joins the two gay communities of Fire Island, New York. Cherry Grove and The Pines have been a queer destination for six decades, and many came to spend their last days here during the era of AIDS. For Brewer and Bronson, this is an environment thick with spirit, and the works begin from that history.
Blue was shot during February, 2012, at a time when the island is normally abandoned. The work features Ryan Brewer (in white) together with Mark Jan Krayenhoff van de Leur and AA Bronson (both in blue). Photographed by Matthias Hermann.
Blue has been exhibited at Art Basel (Basel, Switzerland) by Esther Schipper; Surplus Authors at Witte De With Center for Contemporary Art (Rotterdam NL); The Botanica at Nature Morte Gallery (Berlin, DE); Gwangju Biennale (Gwangju, S. Korea), among others.
A digital version of Blue is also featured in the artists’ e-book “How to Download a Boyfriend” available through Badlands Unlimited.
Recently in Portfolio
- WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE, 2017-2022
- BREADBASKET ON WHEELS, 2020-2021
- GODHEAD (or Work, or I Love You Larry Johnson), 2020
- SOCIALIZED SCULPTURE, 2017-2018
- COSMOGENESIS, 2010-ONGOING
- RACHAEL’S DREAM, 2018
- RACHAEL’S BOUDOIR (The Tower: Penthouse Level), 2018
- HOW TO BUILD YOURSELF A MYTH, 2017
- PHANTASIA (PERFORMANCE STUDY #1), 2017
- FOUNTAIN (The Tower: Ground Level), 2016-2017
- VAULT (The Tower: Lower Level), 2016
- IVORY DUNGEON, 2014-2016
- POST-PARADISE (BLACK LODGE SWEAT), 2013
- WHO’S AFRAID OF RED, WHITE, AND BLACK?, 2012
- BLUE, 2012
- BLACK RED GOLD, 2011
- MEAT RACK VISION QUEST, 2011
- THE WHEEL OF LAW, 2010-2011
- AXIS MUNDI YANTRA, 2009
- CHAKRA YANTRA #6, 2009
- Early Works, 2008-2009